Thursday, April 15, 2010

Udev "Error" in Debian Sid, Kernel Upgrade difficulties

So I have been hesitant for some time now to upgrade by Debian Lenny box, due to some upgrade errors I encountered in the past due to dependency conflicts.  (I have now switched to aptitude, which seems to do much better).  However, it was finally time.. I had several hundred updates to run, so it was time.  When I ran this installer, I received the following error:




Manually Upgrade the Kernel

So, it was time to upgrade my kernel manually.. no way around it.  I downloaded the latest kernel for Sid (2.6.32-3-686 at the time of running) and manually installed, which I've never done (not too difficult, or so I thought)....

I then needed to reboot after the kernel installed, so that changes could be made.  I waited patiently on reboot for my server to come back on-line.... it never did.  I went over and hooked up a screen to my server, and noticed that GRUB had errored out.

Fix Grub

I noticed that the problem must be that for root it was looking at (hd0,1) and root=/dev/hdb1 (not possible).
So after changing (hd0,1) to (hd0,0) and root=/dev/hdb1 to root=/dev/hda1.  I'm not entirely sure why, however, if you do run into this issue, I would recommend that before you reboot, run this command:
 sudo update-grub

Generating grub.cfg ...
Found background image: moreblue-orbit-grub.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-3-686
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-3-686
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686
done
This may fix your problem.  If you need to, you may manually edit your grub file to make sure it is correct.
 sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

Haven't had a problem since!

Happy upgrading!

No comments:

Post a Comment